Motto: Teaghlach Phabbay (Pabbay family)
The highland Clan Morrison belongs to the Island of Lewis and the adjoining mainland of north-west Scotland. The Morrisons of Harris claim to be the original stock and the early Morrison stronghold was a castle on the island of Pabbay, 3.5 miles north of Berneray in the Sound of Harris.
The Morrisons of Perth and Lennox formed no clan and have a different Gaelic name; Moiris, Maurice, from the Latin Mauricius, ‘Moorish’. The Clan is known in Gaelic as Clann MhicGillemhoire which is derived from the Gaelic personal name Gillemoire or McGilmor, Gille-mhoire meaning ‘servant or devotee of St Mary’. This was sometimes shortened to Gillmore, Gilmore or translated Morrison, Maryson or reduced to Milmore, Miles, Myles.
There is much supposition around the origins of the clan; some connections with O’Muirgheasains of Donegal making their way to the north-west coast of Lewis. Another trail depicts a Ghille Mhuire, washed ashore following a shipwreck, a natural son of King Olav and thus half-brother of Leod, the progenitor of the Macleods. Whichever route the story takes, we do know Olav’s son married the heiress of the Gows, or Clan Igaa, who held Pabbay in the Sound of Harris. The Gows were noted armourers.
In 1346, Cedhain, son of Maclain of Ardnamurchan, married the heiress of the Morrisons of Lewis. In 1493 the Lordship of the Isles was finally dissolved and the Crown granted feudal charters to various chiefs. Hence a small clan like the Morrisons of Ness, became susceptible to attack from their neighbours the MacLeods and the MacAulays.
Choose from one of the Morrison Tartans listed below
Sign up to our email newsletter. and be the first to hear about new arrivals, special offers & more.
You can unsubscribe at any time.