Prince Edward Island

Motto: Parva sub ingenti (The small protected by the great)

Designed by Jean Reed of Covehead, the official tartan of Prince Edward Island was selected through a contest across the province, and adopted on June 16, 1960.  

The red-brown represents the famous red soil, the green is for the grass and trees, the white is for the surf, and the yellow is for the sun.  Prince Edward Island is a Canadian province consisting of the main island itself, as well as 231 other islands.  It is one of the three Maritime provinces and is the smallest province in both land area and population.  


In 1534, Jacques Cartier was the first European to see the island.  As part of the French colony of Acadia, the island was called Ile Saint-Jean.  Great Britain obtained the island under the terms of the Treaty of Paris, 1763, which settled the Seven Years’ War.  The British called it St. John’s Island.  

It was changed to Prince Edward Island in 1798, to distinguish it from other similar names in the Atlantic.  The name honoured the fourth son of King George III, Prince Edward Augustus, the Duke of Kent (1767-1820), who subsequently led the British military forces on the continent as Commander-In-Chief, North America (179901800), headquartered in Halifax.  He was also the father of the future Queen Victoria.  During the 19th century it became a fashionable retreat for the British nobility.  Prince Edward entered the Canadian confederation on 1 July 1873.

Choose from one of the Prince Edward Island tartans listed below: