Scots: Langniddry Scottish Gaelic: Nuadh-Treabh Fada
Longniddry is a coastal town in East Lothian, with a sweeping stretch of coastline with dunes known as Longniddry Bents. It is a place closely linked to the Douglas family, who owned Longniddry castle. This castle was destroyed in 1548 by the Scots, because its owner Hugh Douglas of Longniddry had sided with the English during the wars of the 'Rough Wooing' when the English tried to force the marriage of the infant Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1567/87) to the English Prince Edward. The rubble of the Castle was used to build nearby Redhouse Castle.
In the mid-19th century some ruins still remained, and the vaulted lower apartments of the castle could still be seen within the mound, but nothing remains now. Hugh Douglas of Longniddry, a scion of the House of Douglas of Dalkeith, was an early promoter of the Reformed doctrines.
After John Knox renounced his priestly office at Haddington, he was employed as tutor to Hugh Douglas’ sons, Francis and George. Hugh is referred to as being 'of Borgue and Moffat’, having 10 children. George, in 1578, forewarned his kinsman, Archibald Douglas of Whittinghame, that he was about to be arrested for the murder of Darnley. His son, Francis Douglas of Longniddry, in a deed of ratification dated 19 April 1567, is named as third in the line of succession to James, Earl of Morton, failing his male issue. By Sir George Douglas, a descendant of the House, that portion of the lands of Longniddry which belonged to his family were, in 1650, sold to the Earl of Winton, who also acquired the other portion.
Choose from one of the Longniddry Tartans listed below
Sign up to our email newsletter. and be the first to hear about new arrivals, special offers & more.
You can unsubscribe at any time.