Campbell of Breadalbane

Gaelic: Cambeul (Wry mouth)
Badge: A Boar's Head
Latin Motto: Ne obliscaris (Don’t forget)
The origin of the name is thought to be both Celtic and Norman French. The Celtic source is from Dairmid O'Duine, called wry mouth, an Irish warrior chief.

The Norman connection is that Dairmid as a widower is thought to have travelled to France and married an heiress called Beauchamp whose name he adopted. The Latin of Beauchamp is Campobello and Campbell came from this. In the middle ages the Campbells became established in the Highlands and Hebrides growing into a major clan. One of the Cadet branches of this clan is the Campbells of Breadalbane.

Sir Colin Campbell, a soldier, received Glenlochy from his father in 1432.  His descendants added to the family lands.  Sir John Campbell (1636-1717), 11th of Glenorchy, supported King Charles II. He was named the Earl of Caithness in 1677, having bought most of those estates, and then named the Earl of Breadalbane in 1681. In 1689 he was paid to bribe the Highland clans to comply with King William III. The title survived until 1922. 

The earliest example of this tartan is to be seen in the Cockburn Collection (1810) which can be found in the Mitchell Library Glasgow.