Article

Farquharson Tartan

Refine search

Gaelic: MacFhearchair
Badge: Demi-lion holding a sword
Latin motto: Fide et fortitudine (By faith and fortitude)

The clan derives its name from Farquhar Shaw, 4th son of Alexander "Ciar" Mackintosh of Rothiemurchus, 5th Chief of the Clan Shaw, who settled in the Braes of Mar.

One of the desendants from his family was killled at the Battle of Pinkie in 1547, whilst performing the duty of the King's Standard Bearer. In 1595 the clan associated with the Chattan Confederation. Breamar Castle passed into the hands of the Farquharsons and remains the clan seat to this day. The Farquharsons were staunch supporters of the House of Stuart and in 1689, John Farquharson of Inverey declared for John Graham of Claverhouse, Bonnie Dundee.

During the 1715 Rebellion, John Farquharson of Invercauld supported the Chattan Confederation and in the ‘45’ fought at Culloden with Clan Chatton.

The tartan was recorded in the 1819 Key Pattern Books of Wilson of Bannockburn.

Choose from one of the Farquharson Tartans listed below

Product Info