Badge: A winged thunderbolt
English Motto: Dred God
The Carnegies took their name from the area around Carmyllie, Angus. The family who adopted this name was originally known under an earlier adopted place name of Balinhard which is also in Angus. The Balinhards can be found in records from 1230.

In 1358 John of Balinhard was granted the lands and barony of Carnegie by Walter de Maule.  He became John the First of Carnegie and lived until 1370.  John Carnegie of that Ilk was his successor and a direct family line ran from him until 1530.  It was in 1409 that Duthac of Carnegie acquired part of the lands of Kinnaird and an important Carnegie line developed in this area, one of whom was the 8th Laird of Kinnard who was made Earl of Southesk in 1633.

They were involved in the 1715 Jacobite rebellion acting closely with MacDonald of Glengarry and as a result adopted their tartan.  It now has a yellow line where the Glengarry has a white one. Whether this difference is deliberate or just a variant of time is not known.